Media are invited to register for the 2020 AGRF Virtual Summit taking place from Tuesday, 8 September until Friday, 11 September.
Co-hosted by the Government of Rwanda and the AGRF Partners Group, the theme of the Summit is “Feed the Cities, Grow the Continent: Leveraging Urban Food Markets to Achieve Sustainable Food Systems in Africa.”
In a year when food systems across the continent have been placed under pressure due to COVID-19 related lockdowns, this year’s theme is a clarion call to rethink the continent’s food system. It is vital that the industry is equipped to be efficient and resilient to support the continent’s growing urban populations.
In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, the AGRF Summit will be held virtually, with registration and attendance free for all participants.
The AGRF is the world's premier forum for African agriculture, bringing together delegates from governments, civil society, the private sector, the research community, and development partners in the agricultural landscape to take practical actions and share lessons that will move African agriculture forward.
• AGRF Presidential Summit: A Heads of State and Government discussion hosted by H.E. Paul Kagame, President of the Republic of Rwanda, to highlight strategies to strengthen food security on the continent.
• Launch of the Africa Agricultural Status Report (AASR): This year’s AASR focuses on feeding Africa’s cities and outlines the opportunities, challenges, and policies required to enable African farmers and agribusinesses to serve these rapidly growing urban food markets.
• The Agribusiness Deal Room: The AGRF Agribusiness Deal Room is a virtual ‘matchmaking’ platform intending to bring investors, entrepreneurs, and governments together to take practical actions and share lessons that will unlock capital and provide access to affordable finance for Small and Medium Sized enterprises (SMEs) across the agriculture and food sector. The Deal Room is expected to attract about 200 companies, 15 government delegations and 50 public and private investors exploring a wide range of investment opportunities.
• Announcement of the 2020 Africa Food Prize Winner: The Africa Food Prize is the preeminent award for recognizing an extraordinary individual or institution whose contributions to African agriculture are forging a new era of sustainable food security and economic opportunity for all Africans. The award will be presented during the AGRF Presidential Summit.
• GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize 2020 Winners Announcement: The GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize recognizes youth with innovative and inspiring entrepreneurship ideas in agriculture.
More than 100 eminent guests and VIP speakers from across public and private sector in Africa and around the globe, including:
• H.E. President Paul Kagame – President of the Republic of Rwanda
• H.E. Hailemariam Dessalegn – Chair, AGRF Partners Group and Former Prime Minister of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia
• H.E. Olusegun Obasanjo – Chair, Africa Food Prize and Former President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria
• H.E. Moussa Faki Mahamat – Chairperson, African Union Commission
• Dr. Agnes Kalibata – President, AGRA
• Dr. Akinwumi Adesina – President, African Development Bank (AfDB)
• Mr. Gilbert Houngbo - President, International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
• H.E. Ambassador Kip Tom - US Permanent Representative to the UN Agencies for Food and Agriculture in Rome
• Dr. Benedict Oramah – President, Africa Export-Import Bank
• Mrs. Ibukun Awosika - Chair, Board of Directors, First Bank of Nigeria Limited
• Mrs. Tokunboh Ishmael - Managing Director/Co-Founder at Alitheia Capital
• Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem - Group Chair and CEO of DP World
• Mr. Paul Polman – Co-Founder and Chair, IMAGINE
• Ms. Gayle Smith - President and CEO, ONE Campaign
All times are Central African Time
• Tuesday, 8 September
o 1300 – 1400: Opening day press conference
o 1400 – 1530: Launch of the Africa Agriculture Status Report (AASR)
o 1600 – 1800: Opening ceremony and plenary session “Feeding the Cities: A Civic Call to Action” with city mayors
• Wednesday, 9 September
o 1300 – 1400: Day 2 Media briefing
o 1600 – 1800: Plenary Session: Nutritious Food
• Thursday, 10 September
o 1300 – 1400: Day 3 Media briefing
o 1400 – 1545: Launch of Africa Agriculture Trade Monitor
• Friday, 11 September
o 1200 – 1300: Wrap up press conference and announcement of the winner of the Africa Food Prize
o 1300 – 1345: Agribusiness and Deal Room Results Factory
o 1500 – 1800: AGRF Presidential Summit and Awards Ceremonies for the Africa Food Prize and GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize
Only registered media can access daily press conferences.
Please register and submit interview requests by emailing email@example.com
The AGRF serves as the world’s premier forum for advancing Africa’s agricultural agenda, and at the turn of its 10th anniversary, the Forum is committed to taking its agenda and impact several notches higher. With five years left to achieve the vision and goals laid out in the Malabo Declaration and ten years left to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the AGRF recognizes that it must drive a more intentional agenda with more partners. Through AGRF’s year-round programs and annual AGRF Summit, the Forum will use its full weight, resources, and partnerships to energize political will and drive the actions required to overcome the major challenges affecting the agriculture sector. With the right policies, programs, and investments, the AGRF community and stakeholders can grow Africa from the ground up to ensure this is Africa’s Century, driving agricultural transformation at the heart of economic transformation. For more information on the AGRF agenda and partners visit www.agrf.org.